Wondering what college readiness is? Perhaps, you have heard it during your application for a college and answered it as being ready for college, but it entails more than that.
College readiness is being able to showcase the required academic strengths and knowledge required to complete a level of college courses as a student. A group of personal, cognitive, and interpersonal skills helps students acquire and act on knowledge.
College readiness has to do with a set of skills, behaviours and knowledge that upon graduation, a high school student should have before entering into college as a freshman.
The question now is “What are those skills, behaviours and knowledge you should teach as a student?”
College Readiness Assessment:
As a high school student upon graduation, you should have college-ready skills which include the following:
- Being able to follow through with mathematical formulae and using the scientific methods.
- Have the ability to write excellent and well-structured essays.
- Ability to solve problems.
- Know how to manage your time and able to make decisions.
- Building your network and communication levels.
- Being a critical thinker.
College entails many challenges, so, to be ready for it as a student, you should have a certain mindset to conquer those challenges and succeed.
Behaviours like, putting a lot of effort in whatever you do, motivating oneself and being mature to handle situations are taught to you as a high school student.
This particular college readiness might not be the same from state to state. But they generally involve common core subjects; science, language arts, math and sometimes a foreign language.
Importance of College Readiness
This readiness is not only crucial to students but also benefits everyone.
- It helps high schools determine a student’s education quality and the necessity to making changes to the teaching staff or the curriculum.
- Admission teams of college also use it to determine if they should extend giving an acceptance letter to a student or not.
- Since career readiness for working relates to some of the skills; employers also look at college readiness.
- Your chances of completing a degree improves with college readiness.
- It gives you foresight of how your performance in college will be even before starting.
- It helps to build students in a lifetime journey.
Read this: 10 Amazing benefits of going to College
How to boost College Readiness.
- Constant development of soft skills (critical thinking, communication, creativity, etc) ensures students are successful.
- Ensure students meet up with complex academic standards.
- Build them to become independent learners in preparing them for the rigours of college effectively.
- Make them think about careers at an early stage.
College readiness led to the need to monitor and evaluate how prepared students are for college through standard test scores, courses offered, and the credits to be earned. These results are obtained through curriculum activities, subjects assessment, tests etc.
Awesome one, I hope this article answered your question.