While you go lounging around in hotels, restaurants, clubs, events, resorts centers, and other tourist attraction places, do you know that there are brains who ensure you derive optimum comfort and pleasure? “Hospitality managers” are the title given to these individuals having a degree in hospitality management.
Before you proceed reading, let’s get you tipped on what “Hospitality management” is all about. Hospitality management is described to be an advanced educational study in the Hospitality Industry.
To begin with, one needs to acquire vital skills and knowledge to equip oneself in that industry, which can be most certainly obtained when you get a degree.
During the fulfillment of the degree program, knowledge on business principles and skills will be taught; in the hospitality industry, both knowledge and expertise are the major factors in generating a profit.
Whether operating a hotel or a resort, hospitality management skills are vital to the industry’s success.
Skills necessary to become a hospital manager
A degree in hospitality management gives one an exhilarating understanding of how the hospitality industry and other related industries functions and operate.
It enables the development of skills and knowledge essential in people management, leadership, service delivery, marketing, and finance and responding to customers’ or clients’ needs.
Here are some necessary skills to be employable in the Industry:
- Leadership and delegation skills
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Interpersonal and customer service relation skills
- Analytical, critical and problem-solving skills
- Team work skills
- Business skills
Additional skills include:
- Hard work,
- Attention to detail,
- Organization, and
- Listening skills; these are personal attributes that help one become successful in the Industry.
Obtaining a degree gives one an edge over others when applying for higher positions in the industry; this comes about due to the knowledge and practical experience gained in the program.
As a hospitality management professional, whether as a general hotel manager, resort manager, or food and services manager, each day, you will have the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of your clients.
Hospitality Management Degree
What do hospitality managers do?
You may ask what the responsibilities of hospitality managers are. The responsibilities of a hospitality manager are solely determined by the organization for which they work.
The primary role of hospitality managers is to oversee the day-to-day operations of the company for which they work.
In this field, excellent customer service is paramount to ensure that each customer provides a professional, efficient, friendly, and great experience.
The duties of a Hospitality manager include:
- Manage all daily operations and activities in the organization including maintaining stocks, budgets, supervisions and bookkeeping.
- Ensuring all places- rooms, food etc are in check; high quality service
- In scenarios of problems with customers, they must fully be prepared to checkmate and deal with issues, complaints and queries.
- Ensuring all staff that have direct contact with clients or customers are fully supported. They are also in charge of organizing training and recruiting staffs to join their team. However, the recruited staffs are being selected based on the guidelines and standards set for their particular roles be it waiter, bartender or receptionist.
- Ensure health and safety precautions are carried out at all times.
- Search for opportunities to develop and improve the functioning of the organization.
After getting a degree, what next?
The vital things necessary to become a hospitality manager include education and practical experience. The relevance of getting Industrial expertise in this field cannot be overemphasized.
Many schools offering hospitality management as a degree allows Internship for a year.
This Internship enables hands-on experience, which provides employers with evidence of your skills. One also gets to know the sector one has an interest in.
As stated before, getting a degree gives you an edge over others, makes you employable upon graduation. You could also look out for graduate schemes; this will provide you with further training and advancement into a management position.
Hospitality Management Degree
Jobs in Hospitality Management:
- Conference center manager
- Hotel manager
- Events manager
- Food and services manager
Other jobs a hospitality manager degree could be helpful in:
- Tour manager,
- Health service manager,
- Tourism manager,
- Retail manager,
- Air cabin crew,
- Marketing executive,
- Business development manager,
- Fire risk assessor,
- Human resource manager, and
- Customer service manager.
How long does a Hospital manager work in a day?
The length of time a person works is determined by the company for which they work.
If you work in a hotel or a restaurant, you may begin in the early hours of the morning and may not finish till night. However, if you work in a bar, you may start work from mid-day.
Usually, a hospitality manager works 40 weeks, 5-6 days per week, usually on a shift basis, including evenings, early mornings, public holidays, and weekends.
Irrespective of your organization, hospitality management is a demanding occupation that requires working for long hours. As far as there are customers to attend to, one stays awake.
National salary estimate for Hospitality management
The estimated national salary for a hospitality manager is $68,555, which was gotten from an estimation of over 409,324 employees and past and present job advertisements from Indeed.com.
An hourly salary of $35.71 and a monthly salary of $5,713 comes from this estimation.
Benefitsof a degree in Hospitality management:
- It is a rapidly growing Industry which provides opportunities for one’s career.
- It improves creative thinking, promotes good health and a positive mindset.
- The degree provides opportunities to travel and explore the world.
- You obtain a high pay when you get a degree in this field as well as other attached bonuses.
- It encourages diversity and builds network.
Considering earning a degree in hospitality management? Ranging from bars, events, clubs, catering, and hotel management to the development of businesses and marketing strategies, a hospitality management degree provides the necessary skills for an accomplished career in the industry and beyond.
The industry continues to thrive not just in Arizona but also throughout the Southwest. As discussed above, hospitality management is a wide industry that opens up exciting opportunities for one to embark on.
If interested in this industry, there has never been a better time to begin that journey than now; Bag that degree!
Awesome one; I hope this article answered your question.
Share this Information.
- 11 Ways College Can Start Off Your Writing Career7 min read
- 7+ Best Paying Jobs in Computer Software Prepackaged Software9 min read
- How Many Nickels Make a Dollar? (FAQs, Meaning)7 min read
- 13 Best Paying Jobs in Precious Metals (FAQs) | 202211 min read
- 15+ Best Paying Jobs in Telecommunications Equipment (FAQs) | 202211 min read