To pick out among “PTE score vs. IELTS” is a difficult choice to make for individuals who seek permanent residency or to further their studies abroad.
IELTS is presently considered the most reliable English test, while PTE is the most recent entrant to the field, released in 2009. Considering its recognition and acceptance, it’s miles are catching up with another English test already in existence.
If you’re considering taking an English proficiency exam for immigration or study reasons, you’ve in all likelihood wondered “PTE vs. IELTS?” at the least once. Hopefully, after going through this article, it will aid your choice.
PTE score vs. IELTS:
The PTE vs. IELTS tests are as much alike in several ways as they are different in other ways. “PTE” and “IELTS” measures all of the required abilities of the English language, but their grading techniques are different.
The value of the PTE score vs. IELTS score is likewise identical, and the duration of taking these tests differs slightly. The two language tests both have their merits and demerits over the other.
What is IELTS?
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is one of the world’s most recognizable English language tests and is accepted in over 140 countries by over 10,000 organizations.
IELTS is co-owned by the British Council, the International Development Program of Australian Universities and Colleges, and the Cambridge English Language Assessment.
It is, in general, a paper-based test conducted at least four times a month and not less than 48 times annually.
On the other hand, IELTS was established in 1980, and in 2018, the test was recorded to have an average number of 3.5million applicants annually. The test cost around $250, and its score is valid for 24 months.
What is PTE?
Pearson Inc. launched the Pearson Test of English (PTE) in 2009. The test has continued to gain fast recognition since it was launched.
It is accepted in many universities around the world and has high significance in getting a New Zealand and an Australian Visa. However, PTE is valid for two years.
PTE vs. IELTS: Which should you pick?
Without analyzing PTE score vs. IELTS, you can’t just come out to select any of these English language tests as your preferred choice.
Selecting between these tests would depend on several variables, including personal choice. Let us analyze these variables to know which of PTE score vs. IELTS you should take.
Are you digital literate?
When considering which test to take, you must know that PTE tests are computer-based while IELTS tests are paper-based. So, if you aren’t computer literate, you should stick to IELTS.
But for those who are confident in front of the computer, PTE would perhaps be your go-to test.
Read this: PSAT vs SAT – What’s the difference?
Do you have a strange accent?
Most non-English speakers struggled to pass the PTE speaking test because the computer did not recognize the words said.
If you fall into another such category, it’s advisable to take the IELTS test, where you get to interact with a real person who could try to understand your accent.
But for those fluent with the proper pronunciation of English words, the PTE is a go-to test.
How fast do you want your result?
In “PTE score vs. IELTS score,” if you need to get your result as quickly as possible, it is advisable to take the PTE test as its results are released almost immediately after the test is concluded. The publication of IELTS scores takes a little longer.
PTE score vs. IELTS: Which of these tests is easier?
None of PTE vs. IELTS is easier than the other; they are both very challenging and need ample time for their formats to be studied before the test day.
PTE score vs IELTS: Comparing Scores
A major determinant of which of the PTE vs. IELTS test to pick is the score you are to reach as required by the admission unit of the institution you applied for.
Both tests make use of different grading formats for scores measurement. PTE makes use 10 to 90 grading system while IELTS employs a 9-band scaling system to score each of its four sections.
The table below shows the comparison equivalent grading of PTE score vs. IELTS and the proficiency level of each score range.
|IELTS Academic||PTE Academic||Proficiency Level|
PTE Score vs. IELTS: Tests by Section
PTE vs. IELTS tests are designed to determine an applicant’s ability to communicate in the English language. To do so, both of these tests employ several sections to determine an applicant’s reading skills, listening skills, writing skills, and speaking skills.
- For IELTS, the applicant is to listen to 4 recordings and answer 40 questions within half an hour.
- For PTE, the applicant has to listen to 8 recordings and answer 18-25 questions which would last for 45-57 minutes.
- For IELTS, this task is paper-based. The applicant is given two tasks to be completed in 60 minutes.
- For PTE, this section is carried out using a computer. The applicants must complete both of the given tasks in 30-40 minutes.
- In IELTS, this section takes up to an hour. The applicant has three passages to read and also has to answer 40 questions afterward.
- While in PTE, this section lasts between 32-41 minutes. The applicant has to read five short passages and answer 15-20 questions.
- In IELTS, this task is carried out face-to-face with an IELTS examiner. The applicant is presented with three tasks to be completed in 11-14 minutes.
- In PTE, this task is computer-based. The applicant must undergo five tasks which would include up to 40 questions within 40-50 minutes.
Overall, it does not depend on the test you choose to take, as each of the PTE or IELTS tests are great, allowing college students to head overseas and make their dreams come true.
If you have the ambition and will to study for whichever test you select, you can easily pass any English proficiency test and begin your international studies.
Awesome one; I hope this article answered your question.
Share this Information.
- Top 10 Best Boarding Schools in Scotland in 202210 min read
- Top 3 Best boarding schools in Mississippi in 20224 min read
- 25+ General Boarding School Rules and Regulations5 min read
- Top 4 Best Boarding schools in South Carolina in 20224 min read
- Top 6 Best Boarding schools in Vermont in 20226 min read
- Ongoing: Big Y Scholarship Program 2022 (Apply Now)2 min read
- Golf Management Degree (Meaning, Benefits, Jobs, Careers, Salary)6 min read
- Aircraft Welding (Meaning, How-to, Duration, Processes, Schools)8 min read
- 10 Best High Schools in Canada in 2022 (Full Research)13 min read
- Top 10 Welding Schools in Arkansas in 20228 min read