A Japanese Student Visa is a long-term visa accepted by Japanese academic establishments, such as colleges, institutes, and technical colleges.
A Japan Student Visa is required for anyone planning to attend a Japanese educational establishment. Natives of certain nations do not require a visa to study in Japan.
However, the exception only applies to short-term activities like vacations, business trips, or conferences.
A student visa is required if you are visa-exempt yet plan to enter Japan for an extended period for activities like studying that will likely take more than 90 days.
Thus, if you plan to study in Japan as an international student, this article will tell you all you need to know about the Japan Student Visa.
Japanese Student Visa Requirements:
Several documents are required to support your application for a Japanese student visa. For a Japan Student Visa application, you’ll need to submit the following documents:
- Student Visa Application Form
- A copy of your current passport, as well as a photocopy of it.
- 4cm x 3cm Passport-size photographs shot over the last three months on a white background, with no designs or shadows.
- The Certificate of Eligibility
- The Letter of Acceptance from the College showing the duration and information of the course.
- Past academic and professional credentials
- Proof that you can afford to stay in Japan for the length of your visa. For a one-year student visa in Japan, you’ll need about 2 million yen in cash. In order to prove that you can afford college, you can present evidence of your financial status, such as bank or income records or a letter from a sponsor, to your college.
- A letter of Invitation and a Letter of Guarantee issued from your educational institution
- A motivational or cover letter written by you to explain why you want to school in Japan.
How to Apply for a Japan Student Visa:
Getting a Japan Student Visa and getting a Certificate of Eligibility are two separate steps in applying for a student visa to Japan.
Acquiring the Certificate of Eligibility:
A Certificate of Eligibility issued by Japan’s Immigration Services is required for all non-Japanese nationals entering Japan for permanent reasons.
However, because you must acquire this before entering Japan, the responsibility for processing your COE application falls on your institution.
Moreover, to enter Japan as a student, you will need to obtain a Japan Student Visa from your native country and a Certificate of Eligibility.
The Japanese Certificate of Eligibility application process might take at least three months.
Obtaining a Japan Student Visa:
After getting the Certificate of Eligibility, your school must mail it to you so that you can use it to request a student visa from a Japanese high commission in your country. To apply:
- Get in touch with a Japanese consulate or embassy in your area. In some cases, you may need to apply for a visa through an authorized travel agency or visa application agency instead of directly requesting it at the embassy or consulate. However, you will need to bring the right paperwork with you.
- You may also have to come back for an interview or give more paperwork if the consulate or embassy thinks it is important.
- Obtain the visa when ready: After completing the visa application procedure, you must return to get your passport. Japan is open to you if your visa application is accepted.
How Long Does it Take to Process a Japan Student Visa?
The process of obtaining a student visa can take anywhere from five to ten business days. A Certificate of Eligibility application can take three months to process.
How long can I stay in Japan on a student visa?
Japan Student Visas cover the following periods:
- Six months
- A year
- A year and three months.
- Two years
- Two years and three months.
Moreover, you must know that you will find the length of time you are permitted to stay in Japan on your landing permission and your residence card.
Even though your existing visa is set to expire soon, you can still request an extension.
Student Visa Extending Procedures in Japan:
Your visa can be prolonged for up to 90 days before it expires if you go to your local immigration office. Visa extensions are usually granted within a month after submitting the appropriate paperwork.
But when you send in your request for an extension, you will need to include the following documents as proof:
- Request Form for an Extension of Stay in Japan
- 4cm x 3cm passport-size photographs shot within the last three months on a white background, without any patterns or shadows.
- Residence Card
- A copy of your registration certificate issued by your school.
- A duplicate of your school’s diploma or transcript
- Evidence that you have enough money to cover the cost of your stay.
How much is the Japan Student Visa Fee?
Visas to Japan are subject to the following fees:
- Single-entry visa: 3,000 Yen
- Double-entry or multiple-entry visa: 6,000 Yen
- Transit Visa: 700 Yen
However, you will have to pay the visa fee only if your request for a visa is accepted.
Furthermore, visa fees can fluctuate according to your location, the reason for your trip, and the local currency you use when you apply.
Additional documents needed to study in Japan:
The immigration officers at the border checkpoint will issue you a landing permit once you arrive in Japan on a student visa.
While a single-entry visa expires when you receive your landing permit, a multiple-entry visa will continue to be usable even though you have received a landing permit.
However, you need a landing permit instead of a visa to stay in Japan.
A Residence Permit:
Once you land at any Japanese international airport, you will obtain a Japanese Resident Card. You can also obtain a residence card in Japan if you come into the country via any port at a local municipal office.
Within 14 days of establishing residency in Japan, irrespective of whether you received a residence card upon arrival or later, you must declare your residence at one of the local municipal offices.
The residence card will bear your home address.
Within the term of your visa, you can request a Japan Re-entry Permit at your resident Japanese Immigration Agency if you wish to leave and return to Japan.
Frequently Asked Questions on Japan Student Visa:
– Application for a student visa, completed and signed by you and the Japanese embassy or consulate in your area.
– Passport and copies of the passport.
– Submit three recent passport-sized photographs.
– Certificate of Eligibility (COE).
About 3,000 yen
About 70.4% of privately supported international students in Japan are employed part-time. They average approximately JPY 57,000 (USD518) each month. By relying entirely on part-time employment, it is impossible to fund all school and living expenses.
Student Visa is a visa approved by Japanese language schools, colleges, and vocational institutions. The residency status will be “Student.” The time of stay for a Student Visa ranges from six months to two years from the date of arrival, depending on the length of study.
Japan is unquestionably one of the best places to study for international students. However, before attending any school in Japan, all students must get a Japanese student visa.
Even if this article contains all of the information you need about Japanese student visas, you should conduct additional research about your school to help you effectively prepare for your studies.
Awesome one; I hope this article answered your question.
- Sweden Student Visa (Application, Requirements, Steps)
- Hungary Student Visa (Steps, Benefits, Cost, Requirements)
- China Student Visa (Applications, Requirements, Steps, Benefits)
- Ukraine Student Visa Step, Benefit, Duration, Cost, Requirements)
- Letter of Sponsorship for Visa (Sample, documents, etc)
Share with a friend.