There has been a lot of discrepancies on “How to spell 40“, whether its forty or fourty. Some people say that its fourty while a more extensive population says its forty. In this article, I will give you the correct answer.
How do you spell 40 (forty or fourty)
The number “40”, is a number between 39 and 41. It is the number you get when you add (1 to 39) or subtract (1 from 41).
The correct spelling for the number 40 is forty, not fourty. The best way to remember the spelling of 40 is to use the number “four,” remember the phrase “Forget U,” and add “ty” thus “forty”.
The funny thing about the spelling is this: Four, fourteen, forty are correct but Fourty is incorrect, that’s the nature of English language.
Check out: How old are you in 7th Grade? (Best Answer)
When can I use fourty?
The word “Fourty” used to be correct in the past but now it’s updated to Forty”. You don’t have to use the word “fourty” because it is not correct. The best way to describe the number is to write it as forty, not fourty.
Examples of how you spell 40 (fourty or forty)
- My mum is forty years old.
- She went to college in the forties
- That man is not up to forty years.
You don’t have to say “That old man is not up to fourty years”, it’s wrong, its best written as “That old man is not up to forty years”.
On the other hand, in geometry, while mentioning the number, it is written in Numeral and not in words. For instance, a right-angled is more than 40 degrees, its 90 degrees. You don’t have to say that a right-angled more than forty degrees (it’s not right).
It doesn’t always work
Just like the answer to “How do you spell 40 (forty or fourty)” is forty, in the context of fifety or fifty, the answer is Fifty. In the context of ninety or ninty, the answer is ninety.
Forty or Fourty in Cheque
In writing a cheque for withdrawal of money, you use forty instead of fourty in cheque.
Final tips (fourty or forty):
In summary the right way to spell the 40(fourty or forty) is forty and not fourty.
Awesome one, I hope you learnt something new, Sharing is Caring.
- Organised or Organized: Which is correct?2 min readWords like “Organised or Organized” usually make you feel like you haven’t learned a lot in the English language. Most times, the only difference is that one can be in the British format while the other in the American format. The good thing about these words is …
- Enquire vs Inquire: Which is Correct?2 min readWords like “enquire vs inquire” usually make you feel like you haven’t learned a lot in the English language. Most times, the only difference is that one can be in the British format while the other in the American format. The good thing about these …
- Onsite or On-site: Which is Correct?2 min readThere has been a lot of discrepancy on whether to use “Onsite or On-site”. A lot of people say that it’s best to write it without the hyphen while some people say that the hyphen helps to logically add more meaning to it. In this …
- Center or Centre: Which is correct?2 min readThere are lots of discrepancies when it comes to choosing between words like “Center or Centre”. More of this comes as a result of differences in British and American English. One thing I want you to understand about the English language is that no one …
- Mistrust vs Distrust: Which is correct?2 min readIn comparing Mistrust vs Distrust, there are a few things you need to consider, to use these words in the right context. Although both are roughly the same, the use with respect to nouns and verbs differ entirely. One thing I want you to understand …