AP capstone is a course done for a period of 2 years. It is under the directives of the college board. It is made up of 2 courses which include: (i) AP Seminar, (ii) AP Research.
AP Seminar is a course that helps the students understand and even have a clearer understanding on a particular issue.
It helps you study an issue from different perspectives, develop information from the source and get a conclusion. Students are expected to develop these skills and apply them to so many other case studies and topics.
Kinds of students admitted into the AP Seminar:
- Students that communicate well.
- Students with extraordinary social capabilities.
- They should possess the ability to solve critical challenges.
- Students who are curious about life in general like the economic aspect, political aspect, scientific aspect etc.
- They should have a mindset to grow every day.
- Should be able to make conclusions from multiple perspectives.
- They should possess the ability to accept constructive criticisms very well.
- They should also possess the ability to organize things into order.
- Students who are team-oriented.
- They should be able to work within a designated time frame.
- Write arguments based on evidence.
- They should be able to evaluate information.
- They should be good orators and argue wisely.
How much course work to complete an AP Seminar program?
A typical AP Seminar student would be given about 4 hours of research work in just one week. Students which end up mismanaging their time will have more hours added to them in order to complete their works.
They are generally assessed three times or even more, and normally sit for their exams in May.
What students learn during AP Seminar
- How to investigate critical issues from different angles and perspectives.
- How to analyse issues carefully and critically based on evidence.
- Develop the spirit of good team work in order to achieve more.
- Write a research paper and defend it orally.
- To design plans on how to carry out an investigation.
- They learn to be observant and attentive about what goes on in the world around them.
Benefits of engaging in an AP Seminar:
The AP program helps students in a lot of ways:
- They stand out during college admission.
- Teaches them to prepare for adequate college life.
- They earn better credits and qualification thereby earning better placements in their schools.
- Students are allowed to choose their own topics that are very valuable or important to them.
- They develop better writing skills and an ability to analyse a document or a topic.
Read this: Why do we have to go to school? Quick answer
Course Outline for most AP Seminar programs:
To Question Modernity:
This is when the course is being introduced. You learn how to inquire, engage in difficult arguments, and how to avoid plagiarism.
Topics discussed here are the ones that pertain to wealth creation and the causes of poverty and ways to tackle them.
How to Master Education:
Here different topics on education are discussed. How to tackle the causes of illiteracy in a society? After the first semester, more difficult challenges are dealt with from different perspectives.
Colleges that offer AP Seminar courses
- Columbia University
- Davidson College
- University of Michigan
- University of Maryland
- Duke University
- Yale University
- University of Virginia
- University of Washington
- New York University
- Florida State University
Read this: What does SAT stand for? (Quick tips)
Awesome one, I hope this article answered your question.