The rhetorical question “Why am I in School(College)?” is a question that you should ask yourself.
From my study and research in school, I found out that students don’t know why they are in school.
Question to my Online Lecturer:
I asked one of my favorite online lecturers, Prof Chris Woods, this question and here was his reply:
Is it all about the ‘A’ or ‘B’ or even the ‘C”, the ‘first class’ or ‘2-1, the job in the oil company, bank, large hospital or legal firm, the certificate or the ‘Money‘?
Shouldn’t there be more to education such as genuine learning, self-discovery, leadership, dream pursuit, purpose discovery and true education?
His answer made me rethink.
Going back to out topic:
Here are some of the tips I used to answer the question while I was in school(academically):
- Do I love what I’m studying?
- Does what I’m studying add value to me?
- Does my life depend on my course?
- Do I have passion for my course?
Then, if you answer this question, you can determine why you are in school(College).
Is it to pass time or to wait for a particular period of time to evolve…everything is up to you.
These are the things you can take advantage of:
1. SCHOOL IS A GREAT PLACE TO NETWORK WITH GREAT MINDS:
Mark Zuckerberg, the CEO of Facebook, started his company in school, he networked with great minds and today Facebook is one of the leading social media platforms.
Read also: The 21st century Skills every student needs
You need to learn to network, you need to meet new minds, connects with them and learn to work with them.
You have to learn to attend conferences, conferences are the easiest way to meet people that you pay thousands to meet in their offices.
So, school will give you an opportunity to meet great minds that will add value to your future.
2. SCHOOL IS WHERE YOU DISCOVER YOUR PURPOSE AND VISION:
Jim Rohn says “The Major key to your better future is YOU”, put your energy into achieving something worthwhile.
You shouldn’t just work but work for productivity.
Discover the reason for your being; the problem with most students on campus is that they are studying a course that they don’t like,
they don’t even know why they are studying it, they just study to make their parents happy just like the Nigerian musician Falz.
3. SCHOOL IS A GREAT PLACE FOR YOU TO LEARN ANY SKILL:
Anything you want to learn both academically and non, somebody knows it. The issue involved is finding the person.
The person involved might not be around you, maybe in another school, can even be your lecturer but there exist someone that has something that you need.
One thing about school is that in anything or course offered, students are really considered based on giving them a price they can afford(discount). At the end of the day,
you can become good by going for extra classes or doing more research.
4. SCHOOL IS A GREAT PLACE TO GROW YOUR LEADERSHIP QUALITIES:
Have you ever met a rude person before?(Smiles, If you’ve not, then you have to…don’t mind me) How did you feel after your interaction with him/her?
Was it fun? …Gosh,
Whatever attitude of skill you couldn’t change or adjust in school, it will be very difficult to adjust it outside school.
You have to engage into leadership/personal development seminars that groom you and add value to you.
The school is where you can develop good public speaking skills and the power to lead. Its always good to volunteer for leadership positions because these positions help you to learn to first of all lead yourself to take the right decision, then to lead others to do what is right.
5. SCHOOL IS A GREAT PLACE TO LEARN HOW TO READ:
Adieus Huxley said that, “any man who knows how to read has it in his power to magnify himself, to multiply the ways in which he exists, to make his life full, significant and interesting.”
Like I said before, you need to network with people and get close to people who can teach you how to read.
When I was in school, I didn’t recognize reading personal development books as a priority, I always said “I don’t have time, I have a lot of assignment, notes to read and projects to do” but one day,
I came across a quote in my friend’s phone that says, “Is Reading personal development books a priority, will it add value to you?
I answered this question and rethought…
From that day, my perspective and how I viewed reading changed and today my life is different not because of my academic books but because of the leadership and personal development books”.
6. SCHOOL ENVIRONMENT IS A GREAT PLACE TO LEARN HOW TO MAKE MONEY:
The end point of all the education and schooling is to be able to add value to yourself and to others.
So in school, you learn the different means of making money, even on getting to school,
you will see guys with big cars moving up and down and you will feel ashamed
so all these are the things you will see in college.
Do you believe that every student is money if you can see it.
Read also: THINGS A FRESHER SHOULD NEVER DO IN COLLEGE
7. SCHOOL IS FUN WHERE YOU WATCH FOOTBALL MATCHES:
Have you ever watched football in a viewing center? The roaring sound of the crowd, the shouts when a player misses a shot,
the chats after the game, all these make school fun. Sometimes you can leave the comfort of your room to go outside and watch a football match watch just to get that feeling and that vibe.
So with this few things, your stay in school is not in vain.
Conclusion on why do we have to go to school?:
Even if you don’t like the course you are studying, you can do a change of department but even if its too late, don’t give up, continue because you are almost there but one thing I plead on you is as you are studying any course,
do well to do another thing that you love that can add value to your future and put money in your pocket.
Review from some students:
Student 1: I’m in school to get a good result(G.P) and get a good job only. I don’t need anything that can distract me.
Student 2: I’m in school to educate myself, grow in all rounds of life and meet people that will help me build my future. Now see, it doesn’t mean I won’t study by books but I will grow in all aspects of my life. To me, that Why I’m in school(College).
Student 3: I didn’t want to go to school, but my parents forced me to, so that people will not laugh at them and now I’m struggling.
Now you can see, People are in school for different reasons, so know the reason you are in school.
Do you have a fellow student? Share this post with that person.
Sharing is caring.
Do have a wonderful day. Thanks for reading.
- Capstone Courses – Major tips and tricks2 min readThe capstone courses are usually got after attending college or university. But then, most students just want to take their diploma or graduate certificate without waiting to do the capstone projects. The capstone courses have different names but it depends on the college …
- Indirect Instruction (Everything you need to know)3 min readTeaching a lesson involves indirect instruction and instructional decisions. The teacher handling the lesson must be able to identify the following: The content of the lesson. The processes involved while handling the lesson The academic interest of the students The needs of the …
- Academic Rigor – Major tips and tricks4 min readMany teachers do not seem to be aware of the meaning of academic rigor. They do not even know how to inculcate academic rigor within their classes or in their activities. Most of them seem to have the wrong meaning attached to them. …
- Advanced degree – Major tips and facts4 min readGoing for an advanced degree can mean going for a postgraduate, master’s, a doctoral degree or a PhD. It has to do with schooling to get academic and professional degrees. The various types of Graduate degrees: Table of Contents The various types of …
- How long is Dental School? (Major tips)5 min readTo be a dentist, you ought to go to a dental school. A dentist is a person who cares for teeth. He or she treats, diagnoses and helps in preventing teeth diseases. How long is Dental School: Dental Curriculum Table of Contents How …