“Extention and Extension” are two words that seem the same, although one is correct and the other is a misspelling. These words are homophones (words that sound alike) making it easier for one to mistake one for the other.
The Meaning of Extension:
- The verb form of the word, “extension” is “extend”.
- This is a noun with various meanings.
- This is the act of stretching a process or a component which means an increment in length.
- It can mean expansion as well.
- It is also enlargement in breadth or volume.
- A human hair or synthetic hair attached to the scalp to make the natural hair look more beautiful or longer.
- Prolonging of time during a particular course.
Read this: Abbreviation for Assistant – The best one
Difference between Extension and Extention:
Extension means to stretch out or expand into something bigger while Extention is just a misspelling of the word extension.
Examples of sentences using the word extension:
- She wore a beautiful hair extension to the market yesterday.
- Our organization wants to get an extension of the farming department in Kaduna.
- Our company chose me to be head of our new extension over there in Abuja because am an expert when it comes to marketing. (often misplaced with Extention)
- You need to get an extension cord connected to that socket if you want to charge your phone.
- I think we should give her an extension on the contract as she has proven to be the best so far.
- We built an extension behind the house because our family is expanding.
- The hair extension she wore to the mall on Friday made her hair look longer.
Sentences using the word extention.
- We built an extention behind our office. (Wrong)
- The extention I wore on Sunday wasn’t the same color as that of my hair. (Wrong)
- When I saw that my husband wasn’t able to pay the loan on time, I asked for extention of the time. (Wrong)
Synonyms of the word extension
- Annexe e.t.c.
Read this: Amature vs. Amateur – What’s the difference?
Awesome one, I hope with the help of this article, you wouldn’t misspell the word “Extension” for “Extention” again.