Looking at the two words “Gaurd and Guard”, you will find out that the only difference between them is in the placement of the “u” and “a” which is often misplaced by most writers.
These two words are often misplaced for each other because of their similarity in spelling and pronunciation. Gaurd is the incorrect way of spelling the word while Guard is the ideal word.
As you read through this article, I will explain these word and help you understand the difference between them.
Gaurd or Guard
Meaning of Gaurd:
This word comes as a result of misplacing the “a” and “u”. It is often a misspelling of “Guard” because it has the same pronunciation and spelling.
- The gaurd you placed at the gate is committed to his job. (incorrect)
- The only gaurd you can place with my son is that pretty lady over there. (incorrect)
- Gaurd your mind with all thy might. (incorrect)
Read this: Ammount vs. Amount – What’s the difference?
Gaurd or Guard
Meaning of Guard:
This word has several meanings, here are some of the meanings:
- In the game of basketball, a guard is a position in the team.
- In the field of military, he/she is the protector of the city.
- A watch over a person or a group of people.
- To guard yourself, you have to protect yourself from danger and take the necessary precautions.
- A guard could be a device to prevent hurt or danger.
- The TV guard you asked me to buy is more than $20.
- Call the guards before the guy escapes.
- Can I get a guard to avoid being pushed?
The best way to identify the difference between these two words is to use the mnemonic of “You are” to signify the “u” before the “a” indicating “Guard”.
Read this: Recieve or Receive – Which is correct?
Awesome one, I hope this article answered your question.