Some words in the English Language were derived from foreign languages like Latin, German, french. In the context of “per say or per se”, “per se” derived from Latin makes your sentence top-notch and creates the required emphases on what is being explained.
It was first recorded or used in the English Language in the 1500s and is being used to date. As you read through this article, I will show you the difference between these two words and help you understand how both are used in a sentence.
Per say or Per se
Per se Definition:
This word means “by itself”. It is used when you want to singularly define an element out of two things. It is usually used when you want to sound smart and learned in your speeches and communication with other people.
On the other hand, it distinguishes two related ideas or information and provide the essence of one over the other.
- I didn’t really leave the club per se, I tried to show my importance to their values.
- Your handwriting is not bad per se, it was the director’s comment that made me look into the way you wrote the “l” and the “m”.
Per say or Per se
Meaning of Per say:
Per say on the other is often a misspelling of Per se. It is used by students or writers who do not know the exact spelling of the actual word. Since the two words have the same pronunciation (Homophone), it can easily be mistaken for the correct word.
- It is not a library per say, but it has all the books you can think of as a lawyer. (Incorrect)
- Most times, it’s not the alcohol that gets you drunk per say, it’s the excess impurities within the drink that make your body uncomfortable. (Incorrect)
Read this: Learnt vs Learned: Which is Correct?
As you have read through the difference between the two, now you know that “Per se” means by “itself or without a determination by” while per say is the misspelling of the initial word.
Awesome one, I hope this article on “Per say or Per se” answered your question.
- Does FAFSA cover housing? (Quick answer)3 min readApart from asking about the meaning of FAFSA, most students also ask the question, “Does FAFSA cover housing?” FAFSA is a student-oriented financial assistant initiated for both undergraduate and graduate students with financial incapability to further their academic career/pursuit. It …
- Unlearning (Straight to the point tips and info)3 min readWhen we hear or see the word “unlearn”, it seems so odd because the word is not commonly used. So what does unlearning really mean? What is Unlearning? Table of Contents What is Unlearning?How To UnlearnAccepting that the knowledge is …
- Dissertation vs Thesis (Major differences and similarities)2 min readAs a graduate student or graduate-study aspirant, you must or may have come across the terms thesis and dissertation and may be wondering what they really entail. These terms are often used interchangeably and are sometimes said to be similar. However, they differ in various ways and in different instances. Stick with us through this …
- Competitive Parity (Major tips you need to know)5 min readIn society today, companies use different strategies to determine their promotional and marketing activities. One of such strategies is known as “competitive parity”. An organization’s success does not only depend on the fact that it can build a legacy, its ability to sustain that legacy is also crucial. The success of any organization depends on …
- Benefits of Music in Early Childhood Education7 min readWith many schools turning towards virtual and e-learning, one of the first subjects that many students have had to go without is music. Music education not only has suffered from multiple budget cuts but also seems to be deemed by many schooling systems as non-essential. Music has always been viewed as more of an extracurricular …