Some words in the English Language were derived from foreign languages like Latin, German, french. In the context of “per say or per se”, “per se” derived from Latin makes your sentence top-notch and creates the required emphases on what is being explained.
It was first recorded or used in the English Language in the 1500s and is being used to date. As you read through this article, I will show you the difference between these two words and help you understand how both are used in a sentence.
Per say or Per se
Per se Definition:
This word means “by itself”. It is used when you want to singularly define an element out of two things. It is usually used when you want to sound smart and learned in your speeches and communication with other people.
On the other hand, it distinguishes two related ideas or information and provide the essence of one over the other.
- I didn’t really leave the club per se, I tried to show my importance to their values.
- Your handwriting is not bad per se, it was the director’s comment that made me look into the way you wrote the “l” and the “m”.
Per say or Per se
Meaning of Per say:
Per say on the other is often a misspelling of Per se. It is used by students or writers who do not know the exact spelling of the actual word. Since the two words have the same pronunciation (Homophone), it can easily be mistaken for the correct word.
- It is not a library per say, but it has all the books you can think of as a lawyer. (Incorrect)
- Most times, it’s not the alcohol that gets you drunk per say, it’s the excess impurities within the drink that make your body uncomfortable. (Incorrect)
Read this: Learnt vs Learned: Which is Correct?
As you have read through the difference between the two, now you know that “Per se” means by “itself or without a determination by” while per say is the misspelling of the initial word.
Awesome one, I hope this article on “Per say or Per se” answered your question.
- What does CP stand for in school?2 min readIn our previous article, we answered the question “What does AP stand for in School?”, in this article, we will answer the question “What does CP stand for in school?”. AP and CP are often interchanged in meaning, but one is …
- What does AP stand for in School?4 min readGetting through college and coming out with a good degree is not as easy as it seems. Many students want to feel that college experience while in high school, so they take AP courses to prepare for college and earn …
- How long does the SAT take and time management tips4 min readMost students want to know how time can be managed during SAT exams to avoid rush during their last minutes in the exam hall, leading to errors. To avoid rushing your questions in the exam hall due to insufficient time …
- How long does the ACT take and time management tips5 min readIn our previous article, we explained the basic details on What ACT means, but in this article, we will talk about how long it takes to take ACT and major time management tips to complete on time. If you are …
- What is College Readiness? (Major tip and boosts)2 min readWondering what college readiness is? Perhaps, you have heard it during your application for a college and answered it as being ready for college, but it entails more than that. College readiness is being able to showcase the required academic …