11+ Universities to Study Abroad with WAEC or NECO | 2023

Do you know that there are Universities to study abroad with WAEC? Yes, there are.

Studying abroad is a dream come true for many West African students since it would allow them to become more self-sufficient and independent, allowing them to grow and develop as individuals.

WASSCE is a test administered by the West African Examination Council (WAEC) and recognized by the African Union Commission as the highest qualification test in Africa.

However, you may have to complete a one-year foundational program at several schools listed below before being admitted to their undergraduate programs.

This article explains the top universities you can study abroad with WAEC, NECO, and other authorized exam systems.

What does WAEC mean?

The West African Examination Council (WAEC) is a body responsible for administering the senior secondary school examination (SSCE) in a number of West African nations, including Nigeria, Ghana, Gambia, Liberia, and Sierra Leone.

The exam is in two forms:

  • West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) for senior secondary school three (SS3) in May and June.
  • General Certificate Examination (GCE) for anyone interested in November and December.

What does NECO mean?

The National Examination Council (NECO) is a body responsible for administering the senior secondary school examination (SSCE) in Nigeria.

The Nigerian government launched NECO as a substitute for WAEC. NECO administers the SSCE examinations exclusively in Nigeria.

Can I use my WAEC to Study Abroad?

It all depends on where you want to go to college. Not only does this refer to the country in which you plan to pursue your academic goals, but it also refers to the specific institution to which you intend to submit an application.

Basically, if you want to study abroad, you’ll need a WAEC or equivalent with all of the appropriate papers and grades. For students who are open to it, studying abroad can be a life-changing experience.

It provides you with the freedom, exposure, development, and personal growth you require to learn about yourself and the world around you.

Some countries outside of the United States recognize WAEC scores from students who plan to attend college. Your WAEC results will be acknowledged only if you successfully complete all of your exams in one sitting.

More so, you will have a greater chance of getting into these countries that accept WAEC results if you grade your scores, with A’s and B’s in all of your subjects.

Universities, not countries, have the last say on whether or not to recognize a student’s WAEC scores. This means that one university may accept your WAEC results while another in the same country rejects them.

Here are some of the universities to study abroad with WAEC; Ghana, Sierra Leone, Canada, the USA, the UK, and Germany.

How Many Years Can You Use Your WAEC Result?

If you have a certificate from the West African Examinations Council (WAEC) that was issued more than a decade ago, you may not be eligible for admission to several universities.

As a result, the best time frame for gaining admission after receiving a WAEC is between five and ten years.

Does any country accept NECO?

There are no issues with using your NECO results to study outside of Nigeria. However, it is not accepted by all colleges and universities.

If you have a WAEC result, you should consider using it because it is more widely accepted and desired by colleges around the world. If a student has a great NECO result, they may be given admission over someone with a bad WAEC result.

IELTS is no longer necessary once you have achieved a satisfactory score. In order to verify your grades, you will be required to provide further documentation, such as your school record and a legitimate NECO/WAEC result.

Read more: PTE score vs. IELTS (Overview, difficulty, sections)

List of Universities that accept NECO results Abroad:

1. Sheffield University:

If you obtained The WAEC West African Senior School Certificate (WASSCE) more than five years prior to the commencement of your Sheffield program, you can demonstrate your English competence in one of the following ways.

If you have completed a first degree or postgraduate diploma taught in English during the last 12 months before the commencement of your Sheffield study. You should submit an official letter from your university attesting that you were instructed in English.

Additionally, you can demonstrate your English competence if you have worked for at least 12 months in a role that requires regular communication in English.

Along with your application, you should submit an official letter from your current/most recent employer attesting:

  • Your English language competency,
  • Your employment dates, and
  • how you use English in your position.

Visit School

2. Plymouth University:

If you want to study at Plymouth University, you must have a good command of the English language.

Courses at RQF 6 (degree level) and higher have English language proficiency requirements. Any subject in NECO requires a score of at least C6.

Visit School

3. Kent University:

Students will be considered on an individual basis. They typically require students to have taken a minimum of five subjects (including English) and to have achieved a minimum grade of C or 6 in each subject.

Visit School

4. Brandon University:

English language proficiency test scores must be sent in a sealed envelope from the testing authority, except TOEFL, which may be submitted electronically directly through TOEFL.

In the case of GCE, the applicant must have passed five different topics, at least two of which must be at the Advanced level; in the case of IGCSE, the applicant must have passed four different subjects, at least three of which must be at the Advanced level.

This is one of the top universities to study abroad, with WAEC or NECO.

Visit School

5. Manchester University:

Students who achieve high marks in the West African Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) will be considered for admission to the University’s Science and Engineering programs with an integrated foundation year.

In the case of NECO, a Grade B2 is necessary for five relevant topics (including mathematics and physics), with C4 or higher in all remaining subjects (including English).

Visit School

Read more: 10 Best Agriculture Schools in The World (Duration, Worth, Salary)

Canadian Universities that accept WAEC in 2023:

1. Brandon University:

A minimum of five subjects, including English and mathematics, at the C5 level or higher.

Do well to purchase a scratch card and include the following information in the body of a single email:

  • Your name,
  • Serial/PIN number,
  • Examination number,
  • Exam date and year.

Brandom University is ranked 64th among Canada’s finest universities and 2378th worldwide.

Nigerian students who have completed their WAEC, NECO, or GCE examinations and intend to study abroad can apply for admission to Brandon University.

Visit School

2. University of Manitoba:

The University of Manitoba was founded in 1877 and is the oldest university in Western Canada.

Every year, the university undertakes more studies than any other institution of higher learning in Western Canada, helping it to preserve its position as a premier research university in the region.

All direct entrance programs require a WAEC/WASSCE Examination Certificate with five full credits. Do note that NECO scores are not considered part of the admissions process.

Minimum of 70% (C5) in the top three senior-level courses and 60% (C6) in a first-language literary course.

Read more: Top 5 Private Universities in Abuja and Fees

3. University of Winnipeg:

The University of Winnipeg is often regarded as Canada’s cultural cradle.

This university enrolls about 600 international students from 68 different countries. Students who have received their WAEC results may apply to this university’s undergraduate degree programs.

This is one of the top universities to study abroad with WAEC.

Visit School

4. University of Toronto:

The University of Toronto accepts the usage of WAEC for admission into the university. The University of Toronto is home to some of the world’s most renowned researchers and scholars.

You can get a degree from the University of Toronto at any of its three campuses around the Greater Toronto area. Multiple fields of study are represented on every campus.

Visit School

Universities that Accept WAEC in the UK:

1. University of Birmingham:

A friendly welcome is extended to students from Nigeria by the University.

More Nigerian students are enrolling at the university than in any other country. More than 220 Nigerians are enrolled in a wide range of undergraduate and graduate programs at the University of California, Davis.

The University maintains various relationships with universities, schools, and sponsors in Nigeria. It is the home of the famous Centre of West African Studies, the world’s only university department devoted entirely to West Africa.

Visit School

2. University of Bristol:

Nigerians are always welcomed at the University of Bristol with a WAEC result.

International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma holders, British A-level holders, and West African GCE A-level holders will be considered for direct admission to their undergraduate degree programs.

Additionally, applicants who have completed the first year of an undergraduate degree program at a Nigerian institution will be considered for admission to the first year of their undergraduate degree programs.

Visit School


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Universities to Study Abroad with WAEC:

Q: Does WAEC give scholarships?

A: In the past, two students from Lagos State have received university scholarships due to their outstanding performance in the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE).

Q: Can I study abroad with HND?

A: When it comes to studying abroad with a Higher National Diploma (HND), many worry if it is conceivable or even acceptable. Yes, but just like many other excellent things, it does not come easily.

Q: Can I transfer from a university in Nigeria to a university abroad?

A: It is possible to continue your undergraduate studies at a university in another country even if you have already completed your degree at home. Most colleges, on the other hand, will not allow you to repeat your first degree’s program of study.

Q: What comes after HND?

A: As long as they meet the course requirements, most HND graduates can register in the last year of a bachelor’s degree. This could be for various reasons, such as completing requirements for a certain position or following a hobby or interest.

Q: Can I combine WAEC and NECO?

A: Yes! If you’re applying to a Nigerian university, polytechnic, or college of education, you can use your WAEC and NECO scores in combination. In Nigeria, both the WAEC and the NECO exams are recognized.


Some foreign universities and colleges accept West African students’ WAEC results. WAEC is accepted as an entry requirement by several universities in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom.

Always remember that most universities will only accept your TOEFL or IELTS score as proof of your English proficiency if you offer it for admission.

Students without SAT or ACT scores face an additional hurdle because most universities require applicants to submit official scores as part of their application.

At least one piece of good news for students from Nigeria is the fact that some universities will gladly accept their WAEC scores.

Awesome one; I hope this article answers your question.

Share this Information.

Editor’s Recommendations:

Paschal Uchechukwu
Paschal Uchechukwu

Paschal Uchechukwu Christain is a professional and passionate SEO writer on Education, including homeschool, college tips, high school, and travel tips.

He has been writing articles for over 5 years. He is the Chief Content Officer at School & Travel.

Paschal Uchechukwu Christain holds a degree in Computer Science from a reputable institution. Also, he is passionate about helping people get access to online money-making opportunities.

Articles: 804