An adjunct professor is a part-time professor employed in a university on a contract. He/she is usually employed for a period of time to lecture a particular course or handle a class or even a specific group of people.
An adjunct professor doesn’t perform the full duties of a professor, that’s why most universities do not assign an office to them.
The term Adjunct Professor has various meanings but is dependent on the country.
In the US, it is used to address people who have been placed on lecturing contracts in the university.
In North America, the majority of the instructors in the high institutions consist of mainly adjunct professors. They are not paid as full-time professors and do not have access to the benefits that come with a professor job like an office of their own, health insurance, etc.
To be an adjunct professor you must have at least a master’s certificate.
Read this: Advanced degree – Major tips and facts
This title is strictly used for professors that have been placed on a contract job to teach a particular course of class.
Here the lecturer doesn’t engage in lecturing activities. He does research activities and sometimes advices the students on how to go about their research work and experimental activities.
Jobs of an adjunct professor
- They prepare lectures for the class.
- They prepare the exams for the students based on what was taught.
- An adjunct professor supervises research works in the institution
- They help during discussion questions in the class.
Benefits of being an Adjunct Professor
To earn more:
You can be a full professor in one university thereby having a full-time job in education and an adjunct professor in another. The job of being an adjunct professor in another provides you with more income.
Increases your social circle
It helps you come across a variety of people. Some of which you might want to keep in contact with them. So it helps you widen your social contact so you get to meet many people. It also creates a healthy social life for you.
You would not be involved in school
Being an adjunct professor makes it difficult for you to be involved in the politics that goes in universities. It helps you walk on a safe ground.
You will be a source of inspiration
This helps you become of good inspiration to people. You will be given an opportunity to inspire and motivate most students.
It is seen as a hubby
Most of the adjunct professors enjoy working with the students as hubby because the pay usually gotten from the job is poor to some extent.
To help them land in a full time position
Most professors that want a permanent position in a university always start with this, hoping that if any vacancy opens up in their field they can apply for that position thereby landing a permanent job.
To gain teaching experience
Some students apply as adjunct professors during their Ph.D. so they improve their rèsume and also gain teaching experience.
Awesome one, I hope this article answered your question.
- When do SAT scores come out? (Quick answer)2 min readYou must have written the SAT exam, or you have a friend who has written the exam and can’t wait for the scores, and you will be wondering when the SAT scores will come out. Well, you should be able …
- When do PSAT scores come out 2021? (Quick answer)3 min readWaiting for your PSAT scores to come out can make you so anxious but, the PSAT score will give you a clue on what your SAT result will be like. In this article, I will give you clues on when …
- When do ACT Scores come out? (Quick Answer)2 min readWhen you are done writing the ACT exam, waiting for the scores can make you very nervous. Well, it doesn’t take a long time to see your results or scores though. The ACT scores are always released every week mostly …
- What to bring to SAT Exam (Don’t forget any of these)2 min readWe are human beings, and as such, we are prone to forgetting. So I will give you a list of what you need to bring when you are going for a SAT exam so you wouldn’t be a victim of …
- What is GED? (Quick tips about this test)2 min readIn our previous article, we talked about “GED vs High School Diploma”, comparing the both and coming up the differences. In this article, we will add more tips to GED and the major functions of this test. GED, an acronym …