There is always a comparison on “Common app vs Coalition app” on which form is better for college applications. These forms are here to help high school students applying for both private colleges and public universities to be admitted into the school.
Filling these forms can be very stressful but, there are two types of applications that can help you apply to various schools at once:
- The common application
- The coalition application
Common app vs Coalition app
What is a Common App?
The common application has been in use since 1975 and is well known amongst colleges. It is one of the most commonly used college applications that covers over 800 universities and colleges in the US as well as abroad.
The common app is free although some schools require an additional fee when applying to them which ranges from 30 – 100 dollars. With the common app, you can apply to about 20 colleges and more.
How to create an account with Common Application
- Sign up using a Common App.
- Write a list of all the colleges you wish to apply to especially those that use the common app.
- Register and prepare for your exams which are either the SAT or the ACT so that your scores will be received by the registered colleges.
- You will have to carry out research to know what every school on your list requires, so you can plan ahead.
- You must not forget to write activities that you are good at because this would help you get admitted quickly
- Ask your teachers for letters of recommendation; this must be done at an early stage so that your teachers can give you all the information you require without being in a hurry.
- Prepare your essays: Many colleges will ask you to write a supplemental essay, so it is best if you choose one of the 7 college essay prongs.
- Gather information about your parents or your guardian as this will be required.
Note: The common app normally starts in the month of August and ends on 1st November for early decisions while the regular decision ends on 1st January.
Always ensure that you submit the application before the deadlines.
Common app vs Coalition
Benefits of Common App
- It saves time.
- It is accepted by most colleges and universities even those outside the United States.
- You get to write just one essay.
- It has been in use for a very long time so many students and teachers know how to use it such that when you ask for letters of recommendation they can submit them on your behalf using the app.
- The common app can help you track your documents and whatever letters of recommendation you have submitted.
- Instead of wasting time trying to fill out various forms to apply to colleges which can be stressful and frustrating you can do it once using this app although some schools require some additional information which is not difficult at all.
- It reduces stress.
- You will submit just one essay using this app. However, you may get to answer just a few extra questions which is no issue at all.
Disadvantages of Common App
- If you have an issue while applying, it might take a while for you to get a response because the workforce is few and the common app is used by million of students. This can be very frustrating if you need a response ASAP.
- The network can be slow at times especially when it is close to the deadline.
List of schools that use Common App
- Auburn university
- Samford university
- Prescott college
- Lyon college
- University of Arkansas
- Chapman university
- University of Arizona
- Menlo college
- Occidental college
- University of the Pacific
- Colorado college
- Regis university
- Trinity college
- Lynn college
- University of West Florida
- Emmanuel college
- Chicago state university
- Knox college
- University of Chicago
- Franklin college
- Indiana University Bloomington
- University of Notre dame
- Luther college
- Bates college
- Becker college etc.
Read this: What is the easiest degree to get Online?
Common app vs Coalition
The coalition app was launched in 2016. It is an application similar to a common application.
The coalition app can be used to apply to several colleges and universities which includes over 900 schools, unlike the coalition app which is used by over 140 schools or less.
Coalition applications can help students with financial issues obtain financial aid, scholarships, etc, unlike common apps. It is also free for students to use although some schools require some additional payment just like the common app.
Read more: 12 Ways to Get Paid to go to School (Online/Offline)
How to create a Coalition Application account
- Make use of your locker: The locker is where you can upload anything digital; for example pictures, videos, documents, etc.
- Work together with mentors while making use of your locker. The mentors can help you comment on them and provide feedback.
- Fill in the required form and submit your application.
The coalition has a different list of essay prompts which are not the same as that of the common app.
Advantages of Coalition App
- Most of the schools that make use of coalition apps help the students with their financial issues.
- Most of the popular schools make use of the coalition app.
- The locker featured in the coalition app can help you save your documents and information.
Disadvantages of the Coalition App
- Just a few schools make use of the coalition app.
- The network can be unstable at times.
List of schools that make use of the Coalition App
- Columbia university
- Cornell university
- Havard university
- Yale university
- Princeton university
- Brown university
- University of Pennslyvania
- Duke university
- John Hopkins university
- Stanford university
- University of Chicago etc
Schools that use neither the common app nor the coalition app
- George Town university
- United States Naval academy
- University of California system
Read this: How old do you have to be to go to College?
Common app vs Coalition app
Most times public and private schools have their own online application platforms. If you want to use the common or coalition app, just know that you are not at any disadvantage as they are viewed equally by all schools.
Awesome one; I hope this article answered your question.
Share this Information.