As you read through letters and messages, you will come across words like “Goodnite” and “Goodnight” and you will wonder if there is a comparison in “Nite vs Night”. These two words are often misspelt for each other as both are homophones (words that sound alike) and seem to refer to the same thing.
I’m sure you are familiar with “Night” but not really sure of the use of Nite. Nite is an informal way of saying or writing “Night”. As you read through this article, I will explain the difference between these two words and help you understand more.
Nite vs Night
It is a misspelling of “Night”. It is used for informal purposes especially when you talk to a friend or someone you know too well.
The word was attested from 1931 and used for advertising purposes to get the attention of people. In addition, nite is the time of total darkness between sunset and sunrise.
- Jamie, we will talk on the phone till nite.
- The chat with my finance ended with a “goodnite” text.
- Amy uses “nite” instead of “night” when chatting with her spouse.
Read this: Enquire vs Inquire: Which is Correct?
Nite vs Night
Often misspelt as “nite”, Night is also the time of total darkness between sunset and sunrise. It is the formal way of giving goodwill, to sleep well and sleep safely. “Goodnight” as this case may be is the correct way of greeting someone before going to bed.
- Tonight, I have a new member to introduce to the team.
- When the night comes, the birds go to sleep.
- “Goodnight Mr. Mich”, I hope to see you at the office tomorrow.
- The result will be announced this night.
Nite vs Night
Just as “nite” is obsolete, that also applies to “Fortnite”. Fortnight is the correct way of describing a period of “two weeks” and it’s often misspelt as “Fortnite”.
Thus, “Goodnite” is an incorrect and informal way of greeting someone before going to be a bed, while “Goodnight” is the correct form.
Awesome one, I hope this article on “Nite vs Night” answered your question.
Read this: Judgement or Judgment (Which is correct?)
- What is a Hybrid Class? (Major tips and benefits)3 min readOften, people chose hybrid classes without knowing what it is. They use it interchangeably with online classes, not knowing both share similarities and differences. In this article, I will give you a detailed explanation on what a …
- What is GED? (Quick tips about this test)2 min readIn our previous article, we talked about “GED vs High School Diploma”, comparing the both and coming up the differences. In this article, we will add more tips to GED and the major functions of this test. …
- Safety Schools (Major tips about you need to know)3 min readSafety Schools are schools you apply to as your back up plan. These are schools that you have higher chances of getting into so that you won’t be rejected from college totally. Sometimes students refer these schools …
- Early Decision vs Early Action (Best Explanation)3 min readWhen applying to different institutions, you can compare “Early Decision vs Early Action” and know which is the best application process for you. The early decision (ED) or the Early Action (EA) would benefit those students who …
- Colleague vs Coworker – What’s the difference?2 min readThe word “Colleague” was used before the word “Coworker” came into use. These words are sometimes used interchangeably, especially in a business setting or environment, because they are synonymous in a way. In comparing Colleague vs Coworker, you have to understand …