The degrees available to study are numerous, and in this article, you will be introduced to a category of degrees called Ministry degrees. This article will also introduce the types of ministry degrees, their benefits, and so on.
Types of Ministry Degrees
What are Ministry Degrees?
A ministry degree (also called theological degree) is a program that allows and enables an individual to acquire knowledge on organizational leadership, Christian and biblical history, and religious doctrines.
Obtaining a ministry degree not only offers spiritual and secular opportunities but other various career directions. A ministry degree is not just a faith-based educational degree; people have different reasons as to why they pursue and obtain a ministry degree.
It is possible to gain and obtain a ministry degree online. However, available ministry degree specializations include:
- Christian Studies
- Youth Ministry
- Christian Philosophy
- Ministerial Leadership
- Intercultural Ministries, etc.
Types of Ministry Degrees
Different careers available to ministry degree holders
A ministry degree holder can work as:
- Theology teacher
- Philosophy teacher
- Religious activities director
- Church Administrator, etc.
Benefits of obtaining a Ministry Degree
A Christian ministry degree;
- Prepares an individual to work in or with church organizations
- Enhances leadership skills
- Promotes management skills
- Provides business administration skills
- Enables graduates to get fulfilling jobs
- Helps graduates develop a love for service
- Develops communication skills
- Provides networking opportunities
- Creates opportunities for career advancement
Types of Ministry Degrees
There are several types of ministry degrees associated with bachelor’s and Master’s ministry degrees.
Bachelor of Science in Ministry Leadership:
This is a bachelor’s degree studied for four years. This major intends to provide the students with background and skills in leadership.
The major also includes knowledge on how leadership skills should be applied in a ministry or other Christian activities and work.
However, the students study to obtain five program objectives:
- Biblical Understanding
- Biblical Knowledge
Masters in Catholic Education Leadership, MA:
This is a master’s degree program that provides graduates effective knowledge needed to become efficient leaders of either Catholic primary or secondary schools.
Masters in Catholic Education Leadership, MA is one of the types of ministry degrees that is done part-time on campus.
Read this: Free Doctorate Degree in Theology Online
Master of Divinity or Master of Divinity by Extension:
The duration of the program is about 3 to 7 years. However, it is a master’s degree program that could be finished online or on campus on a full-time or part-time basis.
This program is advised for those who are looking for an academic educational program that has practical applications.
Bachelor of Arts in Ministry, BA:
The program can be finished in about 4 to 6 years, with some students taking full-time or part-time programs either online or offline.
This is one of the types of ministry degrees designed to help individuals who are leaders, who possess little or no theological knowledge, to provide pastoral leadership to a congregation.
Bachelor of Arts in Church Ministry, BA (Expository Preaching & Pastoral Leadership):
The foundation for this program is its leadership principles and faithfulness to the Word. It is a full-time/offline program with a duration of four years.
Other types of ministry degree include:
- Master of Christian Leadership
- Bachelor of Theology in Community Leadership (Christian Ministry)
- Master of Arts in Christian Ministry
- Bachelor Degree in Biblical Theology
- Master in Theology, Ministry and Mission
- Master of Education and Theology
- Bachelor of Science in Church Ministry and many others
Types of Ministry Degrees
Factors to consider while choosing a type of ministry degree:
State residence regulations determine the amount of money needed for college, the type of school to attend, whether public or private, the program format and other factors.
Properly research and enquire about the estimated cost of choosing a particular ministry degree, whether bachelor’s degree or master’s degree. At the same time, choose to obtain a ministry degree you can afford to finish.
Options for specialization:
Different schools offer ministry degree specialization options that may be in contrast with an individual’s choice.
However, individuals should properly check and ensure that their preferred school’s specialization options are appropriate and fit their career goals or direction.
The career goals or direction could be business, pastoral studies, youth ministry, or something entirely different.
Read this: Leader vs. Manager – What’s the difference?
Considering all the types of ministry degrees, accreditation is paramount. Accreditation is an essential element to consider when choosing the educational institution that offers an individual’s preferred ministry degree.
It ensures that a college or university has met specific standards to provide academic and professional quality.
On the other hand, an individual’s ministry degree must either hold national or regional accreditation. This is because, a diploma obtained by attending an excellent accredited school is highly valued and recommended.
The institution that has an intact accreditation status should inform applicants of a ministry degree a few things about its program:
- Highly qualified staff and instructors.
- The constant need for excellence and improvement.
- Clear goal and purpose.
- Exceeds or meets set up standards done by the accreditation agency
- Contains resources a student requires to achieve set goals.
Every region that a country has contains its dedicated accreditation agency. A regional accreditation agency ensures that the educational institution meets or exceeds the above standards.
Accreditation agencies for ministry degree programs:
The most recognized and known accreditation agencies for ministry degree programs include:
- Association for Biblical Higher Education (National Accreditation Agency)
- Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools (National Accreditation Agency)
- Higher Learning Commission (Regional Accreditation Agency)
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (Regional Accreditation Agency)
Applicants should make sure that their preferred schools are appropriately accredited.
Qualifications of Faculty:
Applicants should look up, research, and find out the faculty members that will be teaching classes. It is recommended and preferred that the individuals possess advanced degrees and have many real-world and useful experiences.
Types Of Ministry Degrees
This article has mentioned and explained several important points needed to know before choosing a ministry degree. An interested individual should also research and find out more.
In the end, the educational institution and type of ministry degree selected is a personal decision.
Awesome one; I hope this article answered your question.
Share this Information.
- Supplier vs. Distributor (Meaning, Roles, Importance)5 min read
- How long does it take to get a DNP? (Roles, Length, Programs)5 min read
- TEFL vs. CELTA (Meaning, Differences, Which is better)4 min read
- EdS Degree (Meaning, Benefits, Degrees, Duration)5 min read
- Diabetologist (Meaning, How-to, Careers, Schools, Benefits)7 min read
- ESOL vs. ESL (Meaning, Similarities, Differences, Learning Objectives)5 min read
- Teach in Alabama (Meaning, Requirements, Facts, Incentives, How-to)8 min read
- Distilling School (Meaning, How-to, Degrees, Diploma schools)4 min read
- Pass/Fail (Meaning, Advantages, Disadvantages, When to, When not to)5 min read
- Quarter system vs. Semester system (Meaning, Simi & Diff)7 min read